Energizing Morning Tonic
- 1 teaspoon loose rooibos (red bush) tea
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean powder, or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon shatavari (optional medicinal herb boost)
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ashwagandha (optional medicinal herb boost)
- 2 cups hot (not boiling) filtered water
- honey (optional)
Prep time: 03 min. | Cook time: 05 min. | Total time: 08 min.
- Add the tea, cinnamon, vanilla, and shatavari and ashwagandha, if using, to the water.
- Allow it to steep for five minutes. Strain, add honey, if desired, and drink to energize!
When we have trouble sleeping, it's tempting to reach for a caffeinated beverage in the morning. This isn't always bad, but we may think that the boost we get from our morning tea or coffee is really only affecting us in an immediately way. Rather, if insomnia is regular for you, it is best to avoid getting that temporary jolt of energy from caffeine. This is because it isn't only making you feel more awake, but it is stimulating to your nervous system, too. The more your body has to regulate the ups and downs of your nervous system, the more likely you are to tax your stress hormones and to disrupt your natural energy cycles. Opting for something that can make you feel more awake, such as something that can get your circulation going without amping you up, is most ideal and less likely to keep you up during the night.