Cardamom Date Chutney (Vata or Fall and Winter)
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- pinch salt
Prep time: 10 min. | Cook time: 10 min. | Total time: 20 min.
- Soak the raisins and dates for 10 minutes in enough room-temperature water to cover them.
- Drain the water and add the raisins and dates to a food processor or blender.
- Add the cumin, cardamom, ginger, orange juice and salt and pulse or blend until the mixture is a jam-like texture. If you find it to be too thick, add more orange juice or water until it is at desired consistency. Store refrigerated in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
This grounding chutney can be used to make any meal more vata pacifying, but is especially delicious with kitchari and other rice dishes. The sweetness of the dates creates a nurturing feeling, while the spice cardamom is used to help correct and redirect the movements of vata.